September 14, 2012

Painted Rocks




When I was young, I painted river rocks on our family vacations to Door County Wisconsin. It was fun painting lighthouses, our cottage or one time a map of the area. I had forgotten about them but my father had kept a couple in drawer of letters and photos. I passed the tradition onto my daughter this year.





I was inspired by the Aboriginal Art exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum this summer. It sounds funny to say but I found the black and white paintings so colorful. They had a wonderful energetic quality. I loved what the artists did with their brush strokes.







My daughter and I used tempera paint so we could wash it off if we changed our minds but acrylic paint works really well for rock painting too.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful rocks and what a pretty idea, glad you carried on. x

holly said...

I love doing this with my son too! Although he's only two so it gets rather messy haha Yours are just gorgeous!

FragileComeUnaRosa said...

very pretty!

-http://fragileasarosehealth.blogspot.com/

phillybrit said...

I would love to do this with my daughter. I remember seeing a project somewhere about painting rocks and then leaving them in a public park for others to find and keep. It would definitely bring a smile to people's faces.

Isobel Morrell said...

What a lovely, economical but fun Christmas Present idea this is: paperweights are always handy! Hope you and your daughter continue to enjoy doing these together - believe plenty of folks would be interested in them1

Julia Wright said...

Your rocks are stunning! The black and white are so bright and contrasting. I understand the 'colorful' statement. I want to go collect rocks to paint right now, but we have about a foot of snow on the ground, so I guess I'll be waiting until spring to paint rocks with my daughter. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!