September 10, 2020

Color Palette: Pierre-Auguste Renior



Today, in my palette studies, I am looking closely at Pierre-Auguste Renior and his use of color in “Young Woman Sewing” 1879. I saw this beautiful Impressionist artwork at the Art Institute of Chicago. 


Renior’s piece is mainly in gradations of blues and purples with sparkles of greens and yellows softly brought into these fields of color. He builds up a richness of values in the blues from a light through a very dark, velvety blue. Renior creates a unique energy in the piece by using high contrast color in parts along with soft gradations of color in other areas. I love how he brings the figure forward with warm tones.


Enjoy the palette! (If it inspires your project, please send me a link and I’ll link to it here.) Also, if you’d like to read more about the painting, you can find it here from the Art Institute of Chicago.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!